原文已被隐藏,你可用 快捷键 - 或点击 显示原文 按钮来查看原文
第一段
1 .Listen to part of a lecture in a philosophy class.
听一段哲学课堂的讲座。
第二段
1 .OK. Another ancient Greek philosopher we need to discuss is Aristotle - Aristotle's ethical theory.
我们需要讨论的另外一个古希腊哲学家是亚里斯多德——亚里斯多德的伦理学说。
2 .What Aristotle's ethical theory is all about is this: he's trying to show you how to be happy - what true happiness is.
亚里斯多德的伦理学说主要讲的是:他试着让你如何变得幸福快乐——什么是真正的幸福快乐。
第三段
1 .Now, why is he interested in human happiness?
然而,他为什么对人类的幸福感兴趣?
2 .It's not just because it's something that all people want or aim for.
并不只是因为幸福快乐是大家所追求的。
3 .It's more than that.
不仅仅是这样。
4 .But to get there we need to first make a very important distinction.
为了了解这一点,我们首先得做出一个重要的区分。
5 .Let me introduce a couple of technical terms: extrinsic value and intrinsic value.
我先导入两个专业术语:外在价值和内在价值。
第四段
1 .To understand Aristotle's interest in happiness, you need to understand this distinction.
要想了解亚里斯多德为什么对幸福快乐感兴趣,你得先会区分这两个术语。
第五段
1 .Some things we aim for and value, not for themselves but for what they bring about in addition to themselves.
我们追寻和看重的事物,不是该事物本身,而是由它带来的附加价值。
2 .If I value something as a means to something else, then it has what we will call "extrinsic value".
如果我将一个事物看成是获得另一个事物的途径,那么这个事物拥有我们说的“外在价值”。
3 .Other things we desire and hold to be valuable for themselves alone.
而其他事物,我们渴望得到或拥有就其本身而言有价值。
4 .If we value something not as a means to something else, but for its own sake, let us say that it has "intrinsic value".
如果我们不将一个事物看成是获得另外一个事物的途径,而只是为了得到该事物本身,我们可以说它拥有“内在价值”。
第六段
1 .Exercise. There may be some people who value exercise for itself, but I don't, I value exercise because if I exercise, I tend to stay healthier than I would if I didn't.
拿锻炼来说,或许有一些人看重的是锻炼本身,但我不这么想。
2 .So I desire to engage in exercise and I value exercise extrinsically... not for its own sake, but as a means to something beyond it.
我之所以看好锻炼是因为如果我锻炼,我就会比自己不锻炼更健康。显然,我并不是为了锻炼而锻炼
3 .It brings me good health.
而是将其看成是我达成其背后价值的一种途径。
第七段
1 .Health. Why do I value good health?
又比如说健康,我为什么珍视健康?
2 .Well, here it gets a little more complicated for me.
这对我来说有点复杂。
3 .Um, health is important for me because I can't... do other things I want to do - play music, teach philosophy - if I'm ill.
这么说,健康对我来说很重要是因为我不能……做我想做的事——弹奏音乐,教哲学——如果我生病了。
4 .So health is important to me - has value to me - as a means to a productive life.
所以健康对我来说很重要——对我有价值——作为通向多产人生的途径。
5 .But health is also important to me because I just kind of like to be healthy - it feels good.
健康对我重要的原因还有我只是喜欢健健康康的感觉——这个感觉不错。
6 .It's pleasant to be healthy, unpleasant not to be.
健康时神采奕奕,生病时萎靡不振。
7 .So to some degree I value health both for itself and as a means to something else: productivity.
所以,在一定程度上,我看重健康的本身的同时也将其看成是获得其他东西的途径:生产率。
8 .It's got extrinsic and intrinsic value for me.
对我来说,健康既有外在价值又有内在价值。
第八段
1 .Then there's some things that are just valued for themselves.
而由健康带来的事物里也有各自的内在价值。
2 .I'm a musician, not a professional musician; I just play a musical instrument for fun.
我爱好音乐,但我不是职业的音乐家;我弹奏乐器纯属娱乐。
3 .Why do I value playing music?
我为什么喜欢弹奏音乐?
4 .Well, like most amateur musicians, I only play because, well, I just enjoy it.
其实,跟绝大多数音乐爱好者一样,我享受弹奏音乐的过程。
5 .It's something that's an end in itself.
为弹奏而弹奏。
第九段
1 .Now, something else I value is teaching.
我喜欢的还有教课。
2 .Why? Well, it brings in a modest income, but I could make more money doing other things.
为什么?虽然教课能挣到一点钱,但做别的事我能挣到更多。
3 .I'd do it even if they didn't pay me.
即便不给工资,我也会继续教课。
4 .I just enjoy teaching.
我喜欢教学,仅此而已。
5 .In that sense it's an end to itself.
这样说来,我是为了教课而教课。
第十段
1 .But teaching's not something that has intrinsic value for all people - and that's true generally.
但是,对所有人来说教课并没有内在价值——普遍这样认为的。
2 .Most things that are enjoyed in and of themselves vary from person to person.
很多事情我们是乐在其中还是乐在其外是因人而异的。
3 .Some people value teaching intrinsically, but others don't.
有些人认为教学有内在价值,但有些人不这样认为。
第十一段
1 .So how does all this relate to human happiness?
那么这些跟人类幸福快乐有什么关系呢?
2 .Well, Aristotle asks: is there something that all human beings value... and value only intrinsically, for its own sake and only for its own sake?
亚里斯多德是这样设问的:人们因为其有内在价值,仅仅因为自身的原因,而重视的事物存在吗?
3 .If you could find such a thing, that would be the universal final good, or truly the ultimate purpose or goal for all human beings.
如果你能找到这样的事物,那它应该这个世界终极的善举,或者说是人类终极目标。
4 .Aristotle thought the answer was yes.
亚里斯多德给出的答案是肯定的。
5 .What is it? Happiness.
是什么呢?幸福。
6 .Everyone will agree, he argues, that happiness is the ultimate end to be valued for itself and really only for itself.
大家将不会反对,他说幸福快乐是衡量其本身的最终目标,它是可以自己存在的。
7 .For what other purpose is there in being happy?
在幸福里你能找到幸福的目的吗?
8 .What does it yield?
它将收获什么?
9 .The attainment of happiness becomes the ultimate or highest good for Aristotle.
所以,获取幸福是亚里斯多德最终的也是最高的追求。
第十二段
1 .The next question that Aristotle raises is: what is happiness?
亚里斯多德提出的第二个问题是:什么是幸福?
2 .We all want it; we all desire it; we all seek it.
我们都需要;我们都想要;我们都在追寻。
3 .It's the goal we have in life.
幸福是我们生活的目标。
4 .But what is it? How do we find it?
但是,它到底是什么?我们如何去追寻?
5 .Here he notes, with some frustration, people disagree.
这里亚里斯多德提到,几经挫折人们往往并不同意刚才的看法。
第十三段
1 .But he does give us a couple of criteria, or features, to keep in mind as we look for what true human happiness is.
而且他也给了我们一些标准,或是幸福的特征,以便在寻找幸福的过程中作为参考。
2 .True human happiness should be, as he puts it, complete.
如他所说,真正的幸福应该是完彻。
3 .Complete in that it's all we require.
在大家所需求的方面做到无缺。
4 .Well, true human happiness... if you had that, what else do you need?
嗯,人类真正的幸福……如果你拥有,你还需要什么?
5 .Nothing.
什么都不需要。
第十四段
1 .And, second, true happiness should be something that I can obtain on my own.
此外,真正的幸福我可以不需要外力也能获得。
2 .I shouldn't have to rely on other people for it.
我们不需要借助别人的力量便可获得。
3 .Many people value fame and seek fame.
很多人爱慕虚荣,追寻名声。
4 .Fame for them becomes the goal.
他们视名声为目标。
5 .But, according to Aristotle, this won't work either, because fame depends altogether too much on other people.
然而,据亚里士多德所言,这也不会凑效,因为要获得名声,需要极大借助他人的力量。
6 .I can't get it on my own, without help from other people.
没有别人的帮助,我不可能自己成名。
第十五段
1 .In the end, Aristotle says that true happiness is the exercise of reason - life of intellectual contemplation... of thinking.
最后,亚里士多德表示,真正的幸福是理智的践行,即关于知性思考的生活,关于思想的生活。
2 .So let's see how he comes to that.
那么我们继续看看他是怎么解释的。